A recent survey found that nearly 40% Canadians admitted that they were guilty of distracted walking, putting themselves and motorists at high risk.

The survey, conducted online by State Farm in March, polled 3,000 respondents of driving age.

Although 63% of respondents answered that they always take extra precaution when crossing the road during dawn and dusk, the remaining 37% admitted that they were occasionally distracted. In terms of these possible distractions, 40% of respondents admit to texting while walking, and 45% said they use headphones to listen to music while crossing the street.

Notably, 70% of survey respondents also admitted to jaywalking—an act that puts them and motorists at high risk of accidents.

Daylight saving time adjustment also plays a role in pedestrian safety, and the survey sought to find whether respondents were aware of this. When asked if they thought that it was more dangerous to cross the road when daylight saving time begins and ends, 56% answered no.

State Farm noted in a release that November is a particularly dangerous time for pedestrians, especially for those traveling between 4:30 and 7 p.m. as motorists adjust to lower light visibility.

“Pedestrian injuries and deaths are preventable and both drivers and pedestrians have a role to play in ensuring safety,” said John Bordignon of Media Relations, State Farm Canada. “Research and experience tells us that roads are more dangerous in the days after the clocks change. Having drivers and pedestrians being patient, focused and obeying the rules of the road are essential in making sure that you and others around you get to your destinations safely.”

Make sure you are receiving the most competitive rate, (especially if you have a high risk auto policy) with the highest cost savings possible – click here for a free instant online quote.

Source: Insurancebusiness.ca